Voyageurs News – October 31st
Happy Halloween! November 1st is a regular instructional day this year. Students are expected to attend as usual.
We have school apparel available from two suppliers who are parents at the school. Both companies donate a portion of sales to help pay for the playground. Below are links for any families interested in purchasing school apparel.
http://www.haliscodesign.com/champs-vallee/ (Site should be up on Monday)
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR: Arctic Adventure: Snow Much to Read!
Monday, November 4th to Thursday, November 7th
Classes will be attending the book fair during their regularly scheduled library times. If their usual time is on a Friday, your homeroom teacher will advise you as to the changed date/time.
We will be open late for Parent/Teacher interviews on Monday and Tuesday.
We will be open during lunch recess on Wednesday and Thursday.
Hope you see you there!
Conferences are scheduled for November 4th and 5th. If you haven’t yet scheduled a time, please visit https://www.schoolinterviews.
- The Grade 6 classes will be hosting a bake sale that evening.
- Book Fair (see above)
- Lost and Found items will be on display. Unclaimed items will be donated to people in need.
We appreciate that the school zone is a busy place at drop-off and pick-up times and thank parents and caregivers for being patient and courteous.
We have received a few complaints from area residents who have had their driveways used for parking/reversing and have had cars parked blocking their driveways. Please assist by completing drop-offs and pick-ups in designated areas or on the roadside away from driveways.
Upcoming Dates and Events:
November 8th at 10:45 – Remembrance Day Ceremony
November 11th to 13th – No School (Remembrance Day, Mid-Term Break, and Professional Development)
December 11th – Band Concert
December 17th – Kindergarten to Grade 6 English Evening Christmas Concert
December 18th – Kindergarten to Grade 6 French Christmas Evening Concert
December 19th – Prekindergarten Christmas Daytime Concert
Are Canadian children getting enough sleep?
Current guidelines recommend:
- 9–11 hours of sleep/night for children ages 5–13 years old, and
- 8–10 hours of sleep/night for children 14–17 years old.
But… 1 in 4 children are NOT getting enough sleep.
Let’s talk about sleep quality, shall we?
- 1 in 3 children have trouble going to sleep or staying asleep.
- 1 in 5 children have difficulty staying awake during waking hours.
- 1 in 10 children do not find their sleep refreshing.
Over time, insufficient sleep impacts how a child feels, behaves and interacts
- 17.2% of children that get insufficient sleep report hyperactivity compared to 11.9% of children who get adequate sleep.
- 21.5% of children that get insufficient sleep report stress compared to 10.3% of children who get adequate sleep.
- 11.2% of children that get insufficient sleep report poor mental health compared to 4.5% of children who get adequate sleep.
Catching more Zzz’s can help with childrens’:
- Physical health,
- Emotional well-being, and
- Quality of life!
Good sleep. Part of a healthy lifestyle.
Learn more about sleep health at Canada.ca